Is your iPhone touch screen not responding? Is your iPhone screen frozen? One popular and easy way to troubleshoot these iPhone issues is by resetting your iPhone. There are three types of iPhone resets:
- Soft reset
- Hard reset
- Factory reset
Each type of reset can be used for different reasons. For example, you may use a soft or hard reset to fix a minor problem with an iPhone’s touch screen, button or switch. On the other hand, you may use a factory reset to erase all data prior to selling your iPhone.
Here are tips for soft resetting, hard resetting and factory resetting your iPhone!
Soft Reset for iPhone
This option is suitable if the iPhone starts showing minor problems. Soft reset clears the memory of the iPhone and thus fixes most minor problems. The reason for these minor problems could be buggy or bad apps that keep crashing. This step will clear the memory and fix the problems. This process does not delete or remove any data or information, apps, songs, contacts, etc., from the iPhone.
Hard Reset or Factory Reset for iPhone
Hard reset and factory reset are the same thing. This option should be the last choice when no other tips or tricks work. Hard reset reverts the iPhone to its factory settings. This means that after the reset, your iPhone will be in the same condition as it was when it shipped from the factory.
How to Soft Reset iPhone with a Physical Home Button
- Simultaneously press and hold the Home button located at the bottom center of the iPhone, and the Sleep/Wake button located at the top of the iPhone.
- Continue holding both buttons until the iPhone shuts down and restarts. The process takes roughly 10 to 20 seconds. Once the iPhone shuts down, you can release the buttons.
- After 10 to 20 seconds you will see the Apple logo on the screen. Now the iPhone will take some time to clear the memory. Sit down until this is done.
- Now the soft reset? Reset is complete.
How to Soft Reset iPhone without a Physical Home Button
How to Hard Reset iPhone to Factory Settings
- Go to “Settings“
- Select “General“
- Scroll down and select “Reset“.
- Here you will find a few options like – Reset All Settings, Erase All Content and Settings, and Reset Network Settings.
- For Hard Factory Reset, select “Erase All Content and Settings“ The iPhone will ask for a passcode / password.
- Enter this code and confirm.
- Now the phone will start the reset process which could take a few minutes. Sit down and allow the phone to reset itself.
- Once a hard reset is complete, your iPhone will restore to how it was when it was shipped from the factory.
- If you updated the iOS, the iPhone will have the LAST version of iOS after the reset.
If your iPhone still doesn’t work after a reset, bring in your iPhone to one of our iPhone repair stores for a no-charge diagnosis. We have multiple phone repair stores across Greater Vancouver and Greater Calgary (phone repair Calgary, phone repair Surrey, or phone repair Burnaby and Vancouver) and offer iPhone repair Calgary, iPhone repair Burnaby and Vancouver, and iPhone repair Surrey.