While the Apple iPhone is a robust and terrific phone, it can have issues from time to time - especially with older iPhones such as the iPhone 6, iPhone 7, iPhone 8, and iPhone X.
One common iPhone issue we see is Bluetooth malfunctioning. This malfunction prevents an iPhone from connecting with other devices such as another phone, a car speaker or a pair of headphones. This malfunction is particularly inconvenient if you are trying to send files using Bluetooth or trying to play your favourite jam in your car from your iPhone. There are a variety of reasons why your iPhone Bluetooth may not be working.
Here are the top four solutions for possible problems that might be affecting your Bluetooth connectivity.
1. Update iOS version
When an iPhone’s Bluetooth does not work, it is usually due to a software-related issue. Oftentimes, the issue is caused by the iOS version, particularly with iOS 11.
To solve this problem, update your iOS to the most recent version. Apple’s development team has fixed all the bugs in the latest version, so your Bluetooth will likely work once the iOS version is updated. To update your iPhone wirelessly, follow these steps:
- Plug in your iPhone into a power source.
- Connect to the Internet using Wi-Fi.
- Got to -> Settings -> General -> Software Update.
- Tap Download and Install.
- Follow message to temporarily remove apps to create more space for the update.
- Tap Continue.
- Later, iOS will reinstall these apps.
- To update now, tap Install.
2. Pair with another Bluetooth Device
If your iPhone Bluetooth issue persists and you still cannot pair a specific device using Bluetooth, you can pair your iPhone with another device first, and then retry pairing with the initial device that you want to connect. To do so, take the following steps:
- Pair your iPhone with another phone. If you can successfully pair it with another device, it means that your Bluetooth works but there may be some connectivity issues with the initial device you want to pair.
- Forget the device you currently cannot pair.
- To do so, go to Settings, Bluetooth, select the device you cannot pair and then click on “Forget this device”.
- Find the device again and try pairing.
3. Reset Network Settings
Another solution you can try to repair your iPhone's Bluetooth is resetting your networking settings. To do so, take the following steps:
- Go to Settings -> General
- Tap “Reset” and select “Reset Network Settings”
- Enter you passcode and reconfirm
- Try to connect to your Bluetooth device
4. Hard Reset Your iPhone
If you are still not able to repair the iPhone Bluetooth connectivity issue, try hard-resetting your iPhone. A hard reset or restart can resolve many issues such as:
- iPhone crashing
- iPhone freezing
- Ringtone or vibrator malfunctioning
- iPhone touchscreen or keypad not responding
- Inability to make or receive phone calls
A hard reset forcefully power-cycles the iPhone and clears all memory. This approach will not cause you to lose any data - it will not wipe the device. Think of it as the equivalent of a cold reboot of your computer. A hard reset is necessary when an application or system process becomes unresponsive or starts behaving erratically. Here is how you can hard-reset an iPhone using a physical Home button.
- Press and HOLD -> Power Button (Sleep / Wake Button) and Home Button (Simultaneously) for at least 10 seconds.
- You will see the Apple logo.
- Release both buttons.
- Your iPhone is hard reset and will boot.
- Once your iPhone is back ON, turn ON Bluetooth and try to pair your iPhone with another device.
Here is how you can hard reset an iPhone without a physical Home Button:
- Press the volume up or volume down button.
- Simultaneously, press the Power Button (Sleep / Wake Button)
- Hold for about 5 seconds until you see the screen prompt to slide and power OFF the phone. Slide and switch it OFF.
- Wait for a few seconds and then press and hold the Power Button (Sleep / Wake Button) again to turn the iPhone back ON.
If none of the aforementioned solutions resolve the iPhone Bluetooth connectivity issue, you can book an appointment with one of our iPhone phone repair technicians at your nearest phone repair store!
Our team of phone repair experts will be delighted to conduct a diagnostic assessment on your iPhone and provide a quote for the iPhone repair!